Pages

Ads 468x60px

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Top Moments in 2012- #4: Meeting Famous People

This seems like a really silly thing to have as a top moment, but the thing is, before this year I'd never really met or seen any famous people.  I've been to concerts over the years, and there was a brief moment when MGMT was performing "Kids" and I'm 99.9% positive Andrew Vanwyngarden and I made eye contact, and Usher made a surprise appearance at my freshman orientation, and I've taken pictures with Major League Soccer players, but other than that, nothing.  And in 2012, I had several celebrity encounters, so I was pretty pleased with that.




The first was back in March, on that fateful day when Adam Scott tweeted that he would be doing a Q&A after a screening of his movie Friends With Kids at Phipps.  So I immediately went to Fandango and bought a ticket.  I put on my Lil Sebastian shirt and grabbed my Parks and Rec season 3 DVDs and headed on over.  I got a seat in the third row, so I had a great view during the Q&A, and Adam even answered my question!  I asked him who he thought was hotter, Megan Fox or Jon Hamm (both appear in the movie) and he said they should have a baby and that baby would be the hottest baby in the world and immediately become president and rule over everyone.  He's just as funny as he is on TV, and when he saw my Lil Sebastian shirt, he told me that he "still doesn't get him", just like his character Ben on the show.  It was a great evening, for sure.


A couple months later, Kenan Thompson from SNL did a Q&A type thing at Georgia Tech, and I asked him a question at that, but my next full-on celebrity encounter didn't come until July.

I went to New York City for a whirlwind weekend trip with a friend, which I'll talk about more in a later post.  We caught a show at UCB and were lucky enough to see Adam Pally from Happy Endings perform there, among others, and the next day we went to monologue rehearsal for Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, which was awesome in itself.  We then toured the NBC studios, and afterwards we hung around and waited for the show's guests and mostly Jimmy himself to come down so we could meet them.

While waiting, we saw several people leaving the studios- Howie Mandel, who was on of the guests, Al Sharpton, and Bob Costas (who is definitely shorter than he looks on TV).  We tried to get pictures with Rose Byrne, but she had to go, so I shouted at her that I loved her in Marie Antoinette, one of my favorite movies, and she looked up at me and said "aww, thank you!" in her cute Australian accent.  Then eventually Jimmy Fallon came down, and he seemed legitimately excited to see people.  He took pictures and signed things and it really did seem like he was as nice and good-natured of a person as he seems like he is on TV.


So yes, this may seem like a silly thing to put in my top 5 moments of the year, but these guys are (or were on) two of my favorite shows, and it was a big deal to me at the time (and really still is now- I just recently changed my Facebook profile picture from the one of me and Jimmy).  So it earned a place in my top five.

No comments:

Post a Comment