Pages

Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Watch It Wednesday - Bob's Burgers

Sometimes people recommend me shows and I just think "eh, I don't know." If I had a dollar for every time someone told me I should watch Sherlock because I love Doctor Who more than anything else, I would be rich (and for the last time, no I will not watch it because I have zero interest in anything Sherlock Holmes related, thank you very much). So when Brandy and Jessica told me I should watch Bob's Burgers I was a little skeptical, especially since I've never been a huge fan of Fox's animated shows- I think there are maybe two funny episodes of Family Guy. Luckily for me, Bob's Burgers is completely different and definitely worth watching.




I was instantly swayed by this clip of the Belcher family appearing on a Family Feud type game show. The Belcher family is shockingly normal compared to other animated TV families- Bob runs a burger restaurant where his wife Linda and children Tina, Gene, and Louise all work. Louise is very enthusiastic and loves somewhat flamboyant activities such as musical theatre and synchronized swimming. Tina loves horses, music, and boys (hi boys). Gene has a sound effect machine that he uses to annoy the people around him. Louise, the youngest daughter (who is wonderfully voiced by Kristen Schaal), is somewhat manipulative and is rarely seen without her pink bunny ear hat.

The characters are wonderful but the hilariously random plots are what make it amazing and worth watching. Tina and Louise go to a One Direction-esque boy band concert where Louise unexpectedly falls in love with the youngest member of "Boyz 4 Now" and sneaks onto their tour bus. Gene enters a table setting competition. Bob gives burger grease to his baseball idol who then uses it to cheat. Tina befriends a bad girl who threatens to expose Tina's "erotic friend fiction" that she's written about her crush. The storylines are a bit on the ridiculous side sometimes (in one episode, Gene befriends a talking toilet he meets in the woods), but with the characters, they work perfectly.

The show also has amazing guest stars. Aziz Ansari voices a boy who teaches Bob how to beat his rival restaurateur's score on an arcade game in exchange for helping him against his bullies. Jon Hamm voices Gene's talking toilet friend. Megan Mulally voices Linda's sister Beverly who goes on a crazy painting spree and hangs paintings of animal anuses all over the restaurant. Bill Hader voices a man who holds Bob hostage at a bank he's robbing and later ends up working and living and working at the restaurant.

However, despite the crazy storylines and random things that happen to them, the Belcher family doesn't live beyond their humble means. They live in an apartment above their restaurant and rarely do extravagant things. In many episodes, Bob is seen pleading with their landlord for an extension on the rent, and in one episode Bob actually picks up a second job driving a taxi around town to help out the family. It brings an element of realness to the show which is nice to see when other shows have talking dogs and toddlers trying to take over the world.



Bob's Burgers Seasons 1 and 2 can be watched on Netflix, some of Season 3 can be watched on Fox On Demand. And be on the lookout for the burger of the day board at the restaurant- the name is always different and always punny, which I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment